Saturday, April 26, 2008

Some fast comic book reviews

I typically only buy comics in trade paperback form, so my reviews are hardly timely, but here you go:

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier : B-
The book certainly feels special with it's embossed cover, 3D sections, and other unusual formatting tricks, but the story is pretty boring and the wild changes in tone mostly just made the book a chore to read. The two new members of The League that get the most attention are completely foreign to me and nothing about this book made me want to find out more about them. Imagine reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, if the book hadn't told a really exciting story. I'd actually give the book a lower grade, but it's depiction of James Bond and Dr. No is so powerful, I'll never be able to enjoy the real movie of Dr. No in the same way. Maybe I'll look more fondly on the book after I've read Jess Nevins' companion text.

Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk: C
Take away Ladronn's covers and the score would be even worse. So boring, I have no intention of reading World War Hulk. In fact, I didn't care for Civil War, either. Secret Invasion will have to win an Eisner before I'll buy it.

Runaways, Vol. 3: B-
This was a real disappointment. I thought volumes 1 and 2 were terrific. Volume 3 featured forgettable villains and the plot really just seemed to be treading water. I hope Joss Whedon does better.

Conan Vol. 4: The Hall of the Dead and Other Stories: B
Another disappointment. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Conan comic before, but gambled on Conan Volume 3 and it's become one of my favorite comics ever. Cary Nord's art is just as good in Volume 4, but I found the stories to be pretty boring.

The Ultimates 2, Vol. 2: Grand Theft America: A+
I've never read an Avengers story I liked enough to read twice. But The Ultimates really works for me. Perfect super hero comic. Where do I go to buy a Crimson Dynamo action figure?

No comments:

Post a Comment