Monday, June 30, 2008

Review: Heresy #1

(I received a review pdf of Heresy #1 by Jon Brady, Roger Mincheff & Steve Perkins. Apparently, the issue comes out July 2008, although I could find no mention of it at either Ape Entertainment or Spacedog Entertainment.)

The action moves swiftly from modern day United States to 1919 Siberia and back again, as a detective tries to unravel some gruesome crimes - - he aptly describes the murderer as "Bobby Flay meets the Highlander." It's definitely one of the more effective horror comics I've read, and Perkins' photorealistic art suits the subject matter well. My only criticism is that I found the action a bit disorienting and had to reread it a few times to keep the characters straight. But that's always a problem in non-superhero comics.

If you like The X-Files, you should give Heresy a try.

*Comes out late August 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment