Sunday, September 21, 2008

Turner Duckworth explains how it designed the look of Metallica's new album




Creative Review interviewed David Turner and Bruce Duckworth of Turner Duckworth about the design of Metallica's new album Death Magnetic. (They got the job in no small part because Turner's kid goes to school with Lars Ulrich's.) I think I would have had a hard time keeping a straight face if I'd been present for this meeting:
So, they said that they had four album names and that I should tell them which one was the good one! That really put me on the spot. I said that I needed to understand more about the album, so I talked to James [Hetfield] about the lyrics and themes.

As he talked about them it was clear that they were all linked to death, facing up to the nature of death, and the fear and attraction that surrounds death. So then, from the four titles, they had their answer: Death Magnetic. And if we were to come up with a graphic representation of that, people would see how everything was all linked together. So from a show of hands, that became the title.
Read the rest of the interview here. Go here to see photos of the Turner Duckworth crew at the Death Magnetic launch party. And you can buy Death Magnetic mp3s, cds, lps, and special headphones at Amazon.

*Previously: Magno Wooden Radio.

*Buy concert poster collections at Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment